What Version of Office 365 SharePoint and I am on?

Log into your SharePoint tenant. go to the newsfeed page. append this to the end of sharepoint.com on your URL.


The value listed here is your version….. vti_extenderversion:SR|
In my case it is

Hope that helps!

error opening documents SharePoint 2013

I ran across an odd error the other day with some users of SharePoint 2013. When they tried to open any document from a library they would get an error of page not found and the URL looked like this….

ms-word:nft|u| <URL of site>/Forms/<library name> |s| <url of site>

In this case, the culprit was having Office 2010 and installing a 2013 office component as well. In this case SP designer 2013. The fix was removing SPD 2013 and repairing office.

Does this mean you cant have SPD 2013 and Office 2010? This is probably going to be a common scenario for people that are on new sharepoint but not new office. I dont have an answer at this point other than to say I had a similar issue with outlook and found that installing 2013 first, then adding back in 2010 components (outlook in this case) seems to work for me. I run SPD 2010, 2013, Office 2013 except outlook and outlook 2010 on my machine and have no trouble. I installed office 2013, then uninstalled just outlook, then re-installed outlook 2010 in my case. I already had both versions of SPD on my machine at the time.

Northern Kentucky SharePoint User’s Group

We are in the organizing phase of setting up a user group to serve the Northern Kentucky and downtown Cincinnati based SharePoint community. Our first meeting is scheudled for January 10th , 2013. We are still firming up the details, but we hope to have a technical track and a track for business users/exectuves at each meeting. We will hold a monthly meeting from 3-5 PM, with a networking and happy hour to follow. Stay tuned for more details

New blog coming soon for SharePoint Saturday Columbus

My blog has been a bit dead lately. There are 2 reasons for that.

1. A slightly underestimated project has had me busting 60-80 hour weeks for the last month.

2. I am launching a new blog which will have enhanced content to co-incide with my talk at SharePoint saturday in Columbus on Aug. 20, 2011. I will be using the SharePoint 2010 blog site using my new Office 365 account. Time to eat the dog food.

Sharepoint Cincinnati Sharepoint-Silverlight files and links

I did a talk recently at Sharepoint Cincinnati on how to integrate Silverlight into Sharepoint. The code samples I used were largely mofified versions of files I have downloaded from various webacasts and materials I used in my own self-study. Here are the links to those Items for anyone who attended and woudl like a copy of the code.

MSDN Broadcast with Bob German –excellent webcast, downloads available from this site as well.


This book from packit publishing is an outstanding resource. One of the better I have ever purchased in my opinion. a little of my code was from the samples which you can download from here even without buying the book online.


finally this link as a nice module as well


These resources are all you need to get a pretty advanced understanding of sharepoint and silverlight integration. they start out at a pretty deep level. if you need a more beginner oriented approach, I recommend this link as well